Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Oh, Wednesday

Today is a good day. It began with baked oatmeal and cuddles with my baby girl. A little bit of laundry, a little bit of working on Christmas presents. It's cold out, and is going to rain and snow the next few days. It's a stay home, wear sweatpants, and drink hot things good day. We're having potato soup for lunch, and an autumnal dinner as well. I think I'll light a candle. And maybe when Blake gets home I'll be inspired to start putting together our "den" office/media room.
  • Blake and I like watching the show "American Pickers" on Netflix. It's about these two Midwestern guys who find people that collect stuff and buy it from then, then sell it in their shop. It sounds lame, but is actually pretty interesting. It's also kind of sad, since the people are so attached to their buildings and buildings worth of belongings. Many of them shake their heads and can't explain why they have so much stuff that contributes nothing to their lives- they say it's like a disease. Every time we watch an episode I feel the need to go through our home purging, which is probably a good thing!
  • Don't you love it when you have leftovers to put away and you select the perfect size of tupperware?
  • I killed a bright red spider with black and white striped legs. It was horrifying. Once again, Blake tried and failed to make me feel better by mildly mentioning that it belonged to one of hundreds of species of non-venomous jumping spiders. Somehow, hearing the words "jumping" and "spider" together does nothing to relieve me.
  • We met with Blake's adviser at CCC yesterday, and she truly is a gift from Heaven. Who would have thought that a community college adviser could have impacted us so profoundly? She was instrumental in our decision for Blake to leave Purina, and she continues to be an encouragement as we adjust to Blake's studentship and living on a fraction of what we did previously. When I called to setup yesterday's registration meeting, the receptionist asked if Blake would see someone else instead, and with uncharacteristic resolve, I told the woman politely that no, we would wait to see our regular adviser. She was very displeased with me, but I'll do it again!

2 comments:

  1. Well, from a receptionist perspective, as long as you are willing to wait to see said advisor and don't get mad when she's not available really fast (as some students are that I deal with, though I'm sure you weren't), I don't know why the receptionist would be irritated with that. :-) YAY ROBIN! I like her. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How I enjoy your blog posts, Brittany! Jerry and I also love watching American Pickers. And yes, it gives me an odd sense of pleasure when I manage to choose just the right size storage container for my leftovers. I continue to marvel at the similarities I observe between us.

    Blessings to your sweet family!!!

    Love,
    Arlene and Jerry Allen

    ReplyDelete