Sunday, May 30, 2010

Due Dates Come and Go...

May 29th is gone, and no Ninja. I'm surprisingly okay with that though (I've never been partial to the number 29 anyway). Our doctor doesn't want us to go past next Friday (which seems like an eternity from now) because of the effects of the high elevation, so there is a definite end in sight! Besides, I'm having fun hanging out with my mom, getting things done, and I'm very fond of pearl as a birthstone if emerald doesn't pan out.

It's been a couple weeks of highs and lows as far as selling our home goes, with an almost certain buyer backing out, then getting a copy of the home inspection and realizing things aren't as dismal as I thought they may be...there's a buyer out there somewhere! It would have been nice to be moved out before Ninja comes, and be settled somewhere, but I'm sure she doesn't mind that her dresser is in the dining room and most of her cute nursery accessories are packed away. If our home has not sold by the end of the summer, we'll turn the guest room into a genuine nursery, but at this point we're hoping it won't be worth the effort.



The last couple days have been just beautiful, and we've enjoyed some nice strolls with Vlad in the forest. Blake came back with Vladimir one day last week with a dead snake in a ziplock bag, and proceeded to inform me of how he killed it when it tried to bite Vlad (spearing it with his walking stick and cutting off its head with his knife). He was very pleased with himself. And while I'm grateful that he bravely defended our noble beast, I hate the thought of him interacting with potentially venomous reptiles (especially since he admitted he couldn't remember how the rhyme goes: "red touches yellow, you're a dead fellow; red touches black, venom it lacks." Blake was thinking something along the lines of, "red and white, you're all right," which is completely irrelevant. I'm thinking of asking him to tattoo it on his hand in case he encounters more snakes on his expeditions... Right now, Blake and my mom are sitting at the dining room table, sewing his snake skin onto strips of leather to make a band for his new hat. It's very endearing to watch him sewing intently with his mother in law, and I'm much relieved that the snake has been removed from our freezer and disposed of. 



With all of the excitement surrounding Ninja's coming arrival, I truly don't want to forget that this is Memorial Day weekend. I'm grateful for the sacrifices so many have made in the name of freedom, and my prayer is they would not be made in vain... let's not let one soldier lay down his or her life overseas while our liberty is quietly being stripped away at home- what a cruel irony that would be.

This, by the way, is a really fabulous pie recipe, if you're looking for the perfect end to your BBQ:
http://www.thebakingpan.com/Pies_Tarts/freshpearpie.html
I made it last Thanksgiving, and Mom made it last night (everything tastes better when Mom makes it!) and it's terrific.

Enjoy God's blessings over this long weekend...and come meet Ninja should she decide to join us!

No comments:

Post a Comment