Saturday, January 14, 2012

A girl Thing

We were over at my inlaws' house the other day, and I was preparing to partake of a satisfying cup of hot chocolate. I selected a mug from the cupboard, briefly studied it, and returned it to its place. This I did two more times. My husband was cautiously intrigued (which means he wasn't sure he really wanted to know what I was doing). Curiosity got the better of him, and he inquired as to my purpose. I was, at this point, mildly dismayed, since the mug I seeked was two shelves out of my reach! I informed my husband of this unfortunate situation. Though he is accustomed to my unpredictable whims and fancies, he could not fathom why any of the rejected mugs would not suit my hot chocolate, especially since I had been known to use them in the past. I patiently explained that none of them matched my sweater, and I could not possibly carry around in front of me for the next twenty minutes a mug quite that shade of pink when my shirt was quite the shade of pink that it was. Also, the bright red one would not do, and festive dancing snowmen were of an entirely different feel than my demure attire. Though I suspect that he was not convinced of my sincerity, my ever helpful husband demonstrated his worth by choosing off a shelf a sturdy specimen of forest green. It was a fine selection. My mother in law had been looking on sympathetically, and at Blake's questioning look, she confirmed that yes, she did indeed match her mugs to her outfit. Apparently this is not a common action among men.

What womanly indulgences to you allow yourself?

2 comments:

  1. We both got a good laugh out of that! I pick my mug on my mood, not my clothes. I usually default to my Cinderella mug or the giant mugs (which are perfect especially if you include marshmallows).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to pick my mug based on how well the particular drink will look inside of it. But I actually don't have that many different ones to choose from. (Cooper's comment to this admission of mine--he sits next to me as I type--was, "You're crazy! You know you're insane, right?"). As for other girly things, I have far too many shoes and loathe to throw them away, because there is always a perfect shoe for a particular outfit, and I like to have variety.

      Delete