Saturday, July 2, 2011

VBS Etc.

I must admit that I have always been a VBS cynic. Even as a little girl, I remember rolling my eyes during the cheesy lessons, doubtfully participating in games, and making the crafts that I knew would be tossed away in a matter of weeks. The only part of VBS I showed genuine enthusiasm for was snack time. When Blake and I were asked if we would teach the Bible lesson to one of the age groups, I agreed out of duty. Blake was actually quite thrilled, particularly when he heard the theme: mining camp. Despite any reservations I made had possessed going into the week, we ended up having a terrific experience. Our kids (the second and third graders) were awesome, the leaders were great, and we were able to uncheesify our lessons (more of less), leaving lots of good solid content (without the suggested puppet show). The kids asked awesome questions and I was impressed with their sincerity and enthusiasm. While I'm relieved that Blake and I only had a small role in the scheme of things, I'll actually be looking forward to helping again next year!

In other news, Blake finished his first week at the airport! One more round of training and he's good to go! He's in the process of wrapping up his first midterm back at school too, and is finalizing the first pressure washing contracts! I'm a proud wifey!

In other other news, Rory gained a pound in just three weeks! She went from 6th percentile to 10th in weight, and her doctor was beyond pleased. She's still just a little thing, but is noticeably (to us) chubbing up! Below is a video of her being silly with her papa at lunchtime.
Aurora looking pretty in her bonnet and dress for Mining Camp
Our sweet prospector baby
Please, no more pictures!
Tired girl
Washbasin baby
Our little mining family in our classroom (terrible picture of me, I know!)
Big Sister In Charge, humoring her mama
Is it just me, or is she looking very grownup?
Rory was a good sport during her first VBS
Rachel told me my look was more 90s grunge than mining camp...
A prospector and his wee one
Blake grew his beard out for weeks, all for VBS
My strapping man!
Every time I walked by the fireplace, I'd shy away, expecting it to be hot...
One last story...
I grimly donned a bonnet three out of the five nights of VBS, determined to be in character. I found that bonnets could be worse. One evening, driving home, I even forgot that I was wearing it. Near our house, a neighbor's dog was across the street. As we were coming up the street, she called the dog and it ran out in front of us, causing Blake to brake fast and swerve. I turned and glared at her for her lack of judgment (neighborly of me, I know). She gave me a curious look in return. It wasn't until I got inside and saw myself in a mirror that I realized my withering look likely did not serve its purpose; it's pretty hard to take a girl in a bonnet seriously.

2 comments:

  1. On a weekly basis, I think I was born in the wrong time period. I would love to wear bonnets and long dresses and gloves and carry a parasol and sip tea on the lawn...sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love, love, LOVE the first picture of Rory! I also loved this style of dressing - and poo on Rachel, I think you looked perfect!

    ReplyDelete