Thursday, July 7, 2011

On Judgment and the Media

I don't really watch any television, but it was almost unavoidable yesterday since I spent the day at the airport, where TVs are blaring everywhere you look. I do, however, check several online news sources and read the paper each day, so I was very aware of the media hype surrounding the trial of Casey Anthony, a young woman accused of murdering her two year old daughter, Caylee. Even so, I was a bit taken back by the amount of coverage devoted to the case. A couple days ago, the jury settled on a much-anticipated verdict: not guilty. Public outcry was instantaneous and relentless; it seemed all the major networks could talk about yesterday was how on earth it was possible that the jury was letting her go. There were many mentions of the OJ Simpson trial, and of "runaway juries." People are disbelieving and completely furious.

I say, let it go. Honestly. I think it's very likely that Casey Anthony is guilty. But she was tried in our courts, went through the system, and the average Americans on the jury acquitted her. And for now, that's that. I imagine she's not the first potentially guilty defendant to be set free. Nor will she be the last, just like innocent people are at times convicted. That's the problem of a justice system ran by flawed, not omniscient human beings. And, if Casey Anthony is guilty, she will indeed answer for her crime one day; I am thankful for a just God. But for now, America, it's over, unless new evidence surfaces or circumstances change. For better or for worse, you and I were not on that jury, and we should be grateful that the burden of a verdict was not ours to deal with. So enough with the speculating, enough with the indignant huffing and puffing. Time will see little Caylee vindicated- for now, let it go.

3 comments:

  1. Well-said. I actually (and this is because I read World and pretty much nothing else), had never heard of Casey Anthony until yesterday, so I didn't really have a reaction one way or the other to the verdict. However, I am somewhat encouraged by the outrage; shows that God still works through our consciences and even non-believers can see the evil in a little girl's senseless murder. Sometimes I wonder about people. Nevertheless, I did not approve the reports of people following the trial like it was a racy courtroom thriller--that makes me mad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://www.ligonier.org/blog/what-are-we-make-casey-anthony-decision/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the link, Katie! He sums it up well.

    ReplyDelete