Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Independence Day

Here are a few words and pictures of the celebrations commemorating July 4th, 2011:

- July 3rd marked Blake's and my 4th engageversary (and also my Grammies's birthday!). We got engaged in Flagstaff in 2007, just a day after I returned from a semester in Argentina. I spent a week in Flag that trip, and we celebrated the 4th of July at the same party we went to yesterday:
Newly engaged- 7/4/07
7/4/11: 3 years of marriage, 1.5 babies, and a few extra pounds later!
 What can I say- we're blessed!

- Garden update: Well, we've been learning a lot for next year, though we may not see too much of a harvest this time! We have one very alive pumpkin plant, one sort of alive pumpkin plant, 3 spinach-es that are hanging on but not growing, some sad looking strawberries (attempt three this year!), and a few carrots (we think- it's hard to tell since they're underground). However, our tomatoes are doing great- they're growing noticeably everyday!! Our chilies are growing too, and the corn seems stable. I'm particularly encouraged by the parsnips (again, underground so we can't know for sure), though I think I planted them too early and they may get too big by harvest time and not be sweet. I'll plant some more in the fall though!

- My first canning attempt: Let me preface this by saying I spent the last 6 months terrified on my pressure cooker/canner. It was a Christmas gift, and it stayed in it's nice little box until last month when my mom visited and forced me to learn how to use it/overcome my fear. That definitely helped, but I still woke up yesterday morning with great trepidation, knowing I could put it off no longer; the box of peaches on my counter demanded canning. So, I sloughed the baby off on the grandparents, requested the presence of a friend for assistance/moral support, read several sets of instructions several times, and dived in. After several hours of wsashing/peeling/slicing/sterilizing/making syrup/more sterilizing/filling jars/etc., six quarts of peaches were ready for the pressure canner. I informed my loyal friend that any of the following steps could lead to the explosion of either the glass jars or the canner itself, but she remained by my side. We had success: five out of the six jars sealed! I think I know why the last didn't take, too. I'm optimistic about future adventures in canning, and am far less intimidated by the pressure cooker. Best of all, not a thing exploded! Now, hopefully no one will get botulism...


- I canned the peaches while Blake was working yesterday. When he got home, Independence Day celebrations commenced, starting with a very patriotic lunch of burritos from Tacos los Altos. The carnitas there is really something beautiful. After lunch and a nap (well, for Rory), we took our rice krispie treat cake to a BBQ at some friends' house, which was a grand affair, complete with live band and horseshoes tournament. I'm glad Blake's manfidence does not rest on his horseshoes performance, though I must admit he made a fine figure out there, and I very much enjoyed watching. We left the party early to come home and continue watching the John Adams series that we still haven't finished. We enjoyed booing Hamilton and cheering for Blake's "beloved" Jefferson (his political leanings make Blake swoon). The quiet, monsoon-y night was a far cry from the constant noise and explosions I grew up with in Seattle, where it's legal to set off your own fireworks.

Rice Krispie Cake!
Awwww (why yes, there is no sheet on her bed. It's been in a laundry basket in my room for a week or so now.)
My handsome and talented husband, throwing horseshoes!
Enjoying some chocolate cake.

- The monsoons have come!!! Finally!!! I LOVE rain, and especially monsoons! Hooray!!!

3 comments:

  1. Rory has the BEST hairbows!! And what a cute dress!! fireworks? saddd. Hannah actually slept through them :) hurray!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job on your canning!! Peaches are on my canning schedule this week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Britt,ya se que estas,en Seattle,visitando a Lindsey,muchos besos para todos,hoy entre a tu blogspot,y me divertí mucho....RORY;Con su sombrero ,parece THE INGALLS FAMILY!!!!jajajaj
    PRECIOSA!!!!ahora que es verano,a lo mejor pueda usar la manta que le rgale´,cuando ella nacio....un abrazo a tus padres

    ReplyDelete