Thursday, March 7, 2013

A Good Day

Today was good. It was not productive. It didn't include any out of the ordinary adventures. But it was good.
-A friend that I don't know very well from MOPS remembered that I was looking for a popup play tent for the babies for Easter. She saw one at a thrift shop and let me know about it. My mother in law was able to swing by and pick it up; I think it will be great!
-Bashy napped for all of fifteen minutes in his crib before starting to wail, which is unusual for him. I decided to heed the words of a favorite poem on motherhood and snuggled him with his favorite blankie in the rocker for a good hour while he slept; I read a little and chatted with my mom and sister on the phone but mostly just enjoyed the precious moments with my sweetie boy- he's getting big so fast!
-Rory and I had a milestone in our mother-daughter relationship today: She confided in me for the first time! I'm glad we had a speaker at MOPS this morning who reminded us to enjoy these days; I had a freshly made latte and great plans of sitting down for a few minutes after Rory went down for her nap. I was about to take her into her room when looked at me and said, "Let's go snuggle on your bed, just for a couple minutes, how 'bout dat?" I allowed my coffee a fleeting thought but told her I would love to snuggle. We burrowed in under the covers; Rory kept turning over and grinning at me. Instead of getting antsy after a few minutes like she usually does, Rory surprised me by beginning to talk. *Although she's perfectly fine when taken to Sunday School or MOPS leadership meetings or just about any other time, she HATES being in her class during MOPS itself (like clings-to-the-doorjamb-shrieking kind of hates)* So as we were snuggling she began to tell me all about what she likes and doesn't like about MOPS: She likes the activites (snack and singing and crafts and movies and whatnot- she kept rattling things off), but said that in her class the kids are loud. She went on to describe why she likes being in the nursery class with Bash instead of her class, and then described why Sunday School is okay even though it can be loud too. She talked and talked and talked, and other than asking a few clarifying questions I just listened to her. When she was done I told her how Jesus made some kids louder and crazier than others but that he loves the loud ones too and she'll eventually learn to be a good friend to them. But I also told her that I understand why she doesn't like her class. We've always known that Aurora doesn't like chaos; in loud and crazy situations she's usually on the periphery, with a look of alarm on her face. So, her revelations today did not surprise me. But I thought it was so precious that she needed to talk to me about it, to tell me how she was feeling under the security of warm blankies. I hope that was the first of many such conversations we'll have over the years, and I hope I always have the sense to let my coffee grow cold. It can be microwaved, but a squandered opportunity like that with my daughter cannot be made up for.

3 comments: