Saturday, July 7, 2012

Sign of the Times

If you've been reading my blog for a while, you may know that I really, really dislike "pithy" church signs. Unfortunately, I have to drive past one such sign every time I come home. It's most recent offense:

"When we are at our worst, God is at his best."

Cute. Memorable. Blasphemous.

It's not that I fault the sentiment; it certainly is nice to know that God's got it together when our life is a train wreck. However, to imply that God can ever be something less than best is ridiculous: "Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever" (Hebrews 13:8). He is experiencing his most impressive, productive, satisfying, holy, meaningful moment ever, right now. And now. And now. And now. And...

So, really the sign should read:

"When we are at our worst, God is at his best. And, when we are at our best, God is at his best."

Since that's a bit long, it can be summarized with: "Usually we're a mess but even when we're not God is perfect and holy and good and must be praised."

Or perhaps simply the apropos: "Less of me, more of God."

Now that would be a church sign I could honk at.

2 comments:

  1. I like the Less of me more of God! I'd like to see that. Unfortunately that doesn't fill pews. People seem to want 'more me less God' :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you. The church at the bottom of my parents' street (no longer in service anymore), had even worse ones, very health-and-wealth.

    ReplyDelete