Monday, July 9, 2012

In honor of our coming 4th anniversary, an anecdote from the summer we met!


Summer is a dangerous time in Seattle. The days are achingly long and the unobstructed sunshine fills everybody with a thrilling energy that makes one believe that nothing, really, is impossible.
I am fairly certain that it’s been scientifically proven that this season is particularly treacherous for the young and single, something about the UV rays making normally sensible heads think silly thoughts. Combine that with the intoxicating smell of salt water and leafed-out deciduous trees and properly cautious girls such as me feel like they can fly.

It was one of those summer days, and I was at work. But don’t mourn for me; work was absolutely where I wanted to be. I was home from college and had through some miracle landed (pun sort of intended) employment at the airport. Working for an international air cargo company was surprisingly enjoyable, but by far the most stimulating part of the job was my intriguing and (dare I say?) very attractive boss (whom I was secretly desperately in love with).
The workday was winding down when that same very attractive boss gave me a final task that I should have implored him to reassign to someone else: “Brittany Joy, call London and find out why the flight to Milan is cancelled.”

Despite being a “language person” I am entirely baffled by English variations, and have to turn on the subtitles to just about every movie filmed in Great Britain. But that dazzling Seattle sun and a striking pair of blue eyes blinded me to my weakness, and I was overwhelmed with a desire to awe that very attractive boss with my stunning competence.

I should have run away and hidden. Instead, I reached for the phone. 

“Yes.” The Brit who answered the phone already sounded bothered (Americans sound annoyed, English people sound bothered).

“Oh, yes. I’m calling from Seattle. Could you please tell me why the flight to Milan is cancelled?”

“It’s because of the stohme.” Impatient. Why is this American wasting my time?

“The stohme?”

“Yes, the stohme.”

“The stohme? The stohme?” I scrawl “STOHME????” on a sheet of paper and wave it wildly at my coworkers.

“The stohme!”

Bewildered silence, as I debate my next move and he contemplates how Seattle could have hired such an imbecile.

I open my mouth to ask if he would please spell “stohme” for me, but instead manage to get out, “Thank you, good bye.” I hear the dial tone before I even finish.

Quite an audience had gathered for my performance, and I held up my paper in bewilderment. “He said it’s cancelled because of the stohme! What on earth is a stohme?”

They stared at me, disbelieving, and an incredulous coworker answered, “The STORM, Brittany. They have British accents!”

My mortification was instantaneous and thorough. But there was hope of salvation; maybe he hadn’t- no, there he was, guffawing and shaking his head.  Despite my humiliation, I was able to appreciate the irony: I am truly not an idiot, so why was this man that I so very much wanted to impress always around to witness my less than shining moments?

Hostility seemed like the best way to approach the situation, so I glared my deepest glare at one and all and sternly asserted that I would never call London again.

My extremely attractive boss turned out to be extremely sensible too; it was summer in Seattle, a dangerous time, and London could wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment