Saturday, July 21, 2012

Craziness...and a YURT!

Oh my, what a crazy last couple weeks it's been! Summer session is soooo insane, and Blake's taking four classes! He has three at a time right now, and every minute he's not working or (trying) to sleep, he's doing homework. Well, that's a slight exaggeration. We celebrated our fourth anniversary!

For the big day itself, I had a rather brilliant idea (I thought so, anyway- other people I've told seem to think it's weird): we didn't have room in the budget to go out for dinner or anything, and whereas I like to cook, I HATE doing dishes, and anniversary dishes did not sound like fun. So, since my inlaws offered to watch the kiddos, I commissioned my good friend Jenn, who is a pizza making extraordinaire, to make a pizza and salad for us to pick up after dropping off the kids. We would in turn babysit her cutiepie so she could have a date night with her hubby! Jenn made us delicious pizza, salad, and apple crisp, and even included something to drink! We watched part of a movie (we had to stop it early because I got worked up over a split second scene that Blake didn't even see that involved raiding Mongols ripping a baby from its mom's arms and tossing it into a well) and then an episode of Funniest Home Videos to make me happy again. It was such a fun night!

Then, this past week, we got to enjoy our first kidless getaway in a baziliion years! It was sooooo nice to spend a couple days just with my spousy; we finally used the groupon we bought last year and spent two nights in a yurt at the Flagstaff Nordic Center! I highly recommend yurting, for those of you who are unfamiliar with their charms. We stayed in one of the large yurts, which is a mile-hike into a mountain meadow. There are two large yurts there, separated by an outhouse. The yurts have no electricity, but they have beds, a futon, table and chairs, lantern, propane grill, and come with 5 gallons of water. We hiked some gear in (bedding and food), and found it to be an inspired mix of plush car camping and mild backpacking. My favorite parts were watching and hearing the monsoons through the plexiglass "yurt hole," and spending hours of unplugged time talking and laughing with my husband.

Trying to get a picture of Bash's Larry the Cucumber tooth, since his second one was finally coming in
Blake manned the grill. We ate well: lasagna, garlic bread, and squash; breakfast burritos; steak and corn on the cob; stuffed strawberries... camp food at its finest!
Our cute little yurtty and it's yurt friend
We want to go back in the fall when the aspens will be changing color, and we'll actually want to use the cozy yurt wood stove.
Prickly pear Martinelli's...now Arizonan!
We had some quality bench-sitting time.
Peering up through the yurt hole!
Some of the yurt interior
Yurt meadow, looking across at Kendrick Peak
Our brave little chipmunk buddy, Damon.
Home, sweet yurt. Yurt is really fun to say, incidentally. Yurt yurt yurt.
Spousy wousy and his spork.
We were sooo excited to get home to our babies. I think that's a good thing :)
They got even cuter while we were gone!
Aaaaah she's growing up so fast!

1 comment:

  1. I get so traumatized when I see babies being torn from mothers too! It's horrible and my worst nightmare! I had nightmares after hearing about a woman who lost BOTH her kids to a tornado its so traumatic I can't even think about it. Rory is so big and cute! We miss her!

    ReplyDelete