Thursday, April 5, 2012

Spring

Spring in Flagstaff is agony; some days are just gorgeous and thrill you into thinking that the warm weather is here to stay. More often, it's just cold. And the nights are still below freezing, which means the flannel sheets stay out. And the dreaded wind is ALWAYS present, putting an extreme damper on just about every outdoor activity. No, spring is not northern Arizona's finest season.
Nevertheless (I love how three perfectly independent words get smooshed into one!), I have embarked on the Great Seasonal Clothing Swap. This is much more daunting with two children, particularly of a different gender. And while I need the springy-summer clothes out, I still can't store away all of the winter ones. Grrrr. I find the whole thing overwhelming. My living room will be filled with bins for the next couple of weeks, so that I don't find some tiny sweater in the laundry in a few days and have to dig out the appropriate bin just to store it. I usually just give away the item in that unfortunate situation, but if it's something I really want to keep...

Anyway, we haven't been up to too much this week, due to sick/teething/grumpy babies. We were supposed to be out of town, but for the first time our travel plans ended up being canceled due to a solid weekend of overbooked flights. It's probably a good thing, and we'll delay our trip to see my grandparents until next month when we can go for longer than a couple days anyway.

RORY is just two months shy of two! In fact, when I ask her how old she is, she says, "Doo!" She doesn't know exactly what that means, but it's cute at any rate. She also came up with "bless you!" when someone sneezes without any prompting from us, and is very adept at "I want ______," usually, being cocoa, cake, or busssss (what she calls the ambulance). She loves to just go sit it the ambulance or jeep (Cuk, which means truck, even though it's not) with Blake when he gets home. Cars are also cuks, and helicopters are koptas. It's so fun watching her eyes open to the world, and seeing her make connections. She adores her baby brother, "Bashhhhhhh," and he is equally fond of her. Her new favorite game goes like this: "Do you love Mama, Rory?" "Noooooo!" "Do you love Bash, Rory?" "Noooooooo!" Do you love Grandpa, Rory?" "Noooooooo!" At which point she takes the initiative: "Do doo duh Papa? Nooooo!" And so on. She thinks it's hilarious, and apparently doesn't love anyone.

Sweet SEBASTIAN is 5 months old and is learning to sit, which I'm hoping will revolutionize his existence and make independent play more of a priority for him. He's laughing more and sleeping less (I guess that's an okay tradeoff), and is very handsome and just the right amount of chunky. Bash also magically to move across the room, though I have yet to witness how he accomplishes this feat.

Finally, today was the annual MOPS spa day. I'm not exactly a "spa girl," whatever that means, but I enjoy the mocha punch and fondu and comfy chair chats with friends. I made this hideous/fun spa cheese ball to commemorate the day, and it was quite well received! And most of it got eaten, which is good since I hate cheese balls.

Springy Aurora

3 comments:

  1. Oh!!! I wondered what that was! To my credit, by the time I got to the food table, only her hair was left, so it was slightly confusing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that cheese ball was soo good! I will need to steal the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is the cleverest cheese ball I've ever seen. It's not hideous, it's awesome! Good job!

    ReplyDelete