Friday, April 27, 2012

A Public Apology to my Hardworking and Honorable Husband

I know not what came over me,
When I stopped beside the shower door.
In the midst of an impromptu cleaning spree,
I took a respite from my chores.

A compelling force bade me see,
And I chanced a peek down at floor.
My primary instinct was to flee,
But the appalling sight I could not ignore.

Grimly I assessed the scene,
 Its sorry state made clear.
There I stood each morn' to clean,
Scrub my face and hair and rear.

Hours spent in this very stall
Did I never give thought to peer
Through the steam at the floor and wall
To which such filth did adhere?

Filled with woe and true resolve
I determined to make it right.
Not knowing what effort it would involve,
To make the walls once again white.

As I scrubbed the door and shelves
I pondered the cause of my plight
For really the shower ought clean itself
With all the soap and water in sight.

Such a mystery I cannot explain,
So dutifully I completed the task.
Yet a nagging thought was lodged in my brain-
My husband- he never did ask.

It deteriorated before his eyes,
His face was was a serene mask.
He never nudged or chastised,
Mentioned the empty shampoo flasks.

Dear husband, I apologize now
For the shocking state of neglect.
You showed more grace than most would allow,
Though it wore on you, I suspect.

A sparkling shower I present to you,
My love for you may it reflect.
Since we have two babies under two,
It won't happen again soon, I expect.



2 comments:

  1. How on earth are you such a smarty-pants??? Loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's an awesome poem! I hate cleaning the shower the most!

    ReplyDelete