Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Happy Birthday!

Dear Arizona,
Congratulations on your centennial! Despite all the bad press you get from the liberal, mainstream media, I am proud to be part of you. Thank you for welcoming me from the rainy north and for being a home to me, and for so many other transplants from all over. I love your saguaro cacti that look so lovely silhouetted against your pretty desert skies, and I love your green chilies and horchata. I love your eerie old mines and your cheesy wild west shows, the timeless scenery and the Navajo tacos.  I love living in your mountains, but think it's swell that I can drive a couple hours and experience your warmth. Plus, it's nice to live a state that welcomes me to home school and own guns. Times have changed a lot, but you're looking pretty good for being 100 years old. I think I'll curl up with a Louis L'Amour book and enjoy this AZ snowfall in honor of your big day. Happy Birthday, Arizona. May you celebrate one hundred more!

1 comment:

  1. Yay for AZ! It's pretty exciting...probably the only significant centennial that we will see in our lifetime. :-D

    ReplyDelete