Monday, February 13, 2012

A Day in February

For the first time in a long time, it looks vaguely winterish out. So I am extremely content to stay in with my cute little babies today. We have a big trip looming, and I'm busy with preparations: making travel food, laundry, selecting toys and books for the airplane..
Today marks Bash's 16 week birthday. He's such a sweet little guy, even if he's still a little grumpy. He rolled over for the first time last week (way to go cutie boy!) and he continues to adore his (equally adoring) big sister.

I am going to share with you now a recipe that could change your life, if you'd let it. It is entirely marvelous, but also a bit dismaying. It is for cinnamon rolls, cinnamon rolls that are so easy, there will never be anything going on that can keep you from making them. It can occur to you in a fleeting thought that it's a cinnamon rolly day, and before you know it they'll be in the oven. Such a scenario occurred at my house yesterday. I rolled mine into heart shapes and froze a couple for Blake's Valentine breakfast tomorrow. I ask, is there anything more delightful than a warm cinnamon roll and hot drink? Mmmmm. Here's a link to the recipe- don't blame me if you make them three times this week:

http://www.ourbestbites.com/2010/06/everyday-cinnamon-rolls/

Have I mentioned on here how much I dislike my microwave? I had a thrilling day last week when it made an awful noise and smelled terrible and I felt a surge of victory, anticipating its demise. Blake resurrected it. Not only can you only use it on minute or 30 second intervals, exclusively at full power, but without fail it beeps FIVE times when through. FIVE!!! Even if you open the door as soon as it's done. Why on earth would the manufacturer do such a thing? "Let's add one extra beep just in case they don't get the point after the first four!" It doesn't help that I'm one of those people who turns the sound off of everything- dryer, keypad on phone, etc. The hated microwave does not have that option.

Another peeve of the day: annoying church signs. I'm a believer and they still grate on me; I can't imagine them inspiring nonbelievers to investigate the gospel. Most of the ones I see are either arrogant, provocative, or just stupid. Very rarely will there be one that hits the right note of dryly amusing and poignantly relevant. My opinion: keep it to "Welcome."

Not surprisingly, I love Valentine's Day. I love just about every holiday, and even try to celebrate non-holidays like the Iowa caucus (we ate corn). This is the first year that money is so tight, so I had to get creative. Since gifts are my love language, eschewing them isn't really an option. So, I bartered a pan of homemade cinnamon rolls (see above) for Blake's present. Thanks, Matt and Marti! I'm not convinced that they didn't get the short end of that deal, but I'm very appreciative for that opportunity! Of course, Blake convinced me to give it to him early (we're so bad). On the big day itself, he'll be at work up until the time we leave for scouts (spending the evening with a bunch of wild grade school isn't exactly romantic, although it's certainly entertaining), so I'm sending him out the door with a valentinesy breakfast, and after scouts we'll put the babies to bed early and enjoy crock pot pulled pork sandwiches by candlelight. That's amore!


5 comments:

  1. I tried cinnamon rolls twice in December and they both failed. I've decided I'd rather buy them then go through the trauma again. Sadly, C has decided we are definitely not doing V-Day anymore, even though that is the day he proposed. So, we're going out on Saturday to celebrate the proposal instead. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sad! Maybe you can convince him to celebrate Flag Day or something else special instead :)

      Delete
  2. Try hitting the cancel button on your microwave when it starts beeping- that's the only thing that works for ours, anyway.

    ReplyDelete