Tuesday, September 27, 2011

September Showers and Such

It's an exceedingly busy season for the FCF shower ministry; it seems like everyone is getting ready to have a baby! On Saturday I helped throw a hunting themed shower for a friend who's having her first boy. It turned out really cute, and was lots of fun. I can't take any credit for the awesome decorations, but I can for the food, which included a make-your-own trailmix bar and an assortment of bright "hunter" orange items. Also, there were amazing BBQ elk sandwiches, from the mom-to-be's own elk!

Last night was the shower for me and my little guy- it was Robin Hood themed! All I did was come up with the theme (months ago) and show up! It was pretty fabulous- it took place at the lovely home of a family that lives deep in the woods (Sherwood Forest, of course). We ate lots of Englishy things, including homemade meat hand pies, scones with Devonshire cream, and root vegetables (which happen to be my favorite). I was highly impressed with our collective knowledge of Robin Hood trivia, and (thanks to a Wikipedia cram session) I was able to answer a couple questions myself! A woman from church gave a poignant talk, and another woman gave a, well, not so poignant talk (mostly involving the complexities of diaper changes for boys!). We got some terrific things for our little cowboy, thanks to my amazing friends! Rory  had lots of fun playing with the other young/baby girls in attendance, and she even got her own little present to hopefully lessen the coming trauma.

Awesome target and arrow cupcakes!
Our Englishy snacks
Some of the lovely guests
A few attendees getting some cider (Hint: I'm the pregnant one in the Robin Hood hat)
 Other random news:
- We are SO excited that my sister and brother in law and little niecey are going to spend Thanksgiving with us!!!!!!!
- I stored away almost all of the rest of Rory's summer clothes, which made me sad.
- I put baby boy clothes into a dresser for the first time in my life!
- We finally got Aurora's new big girl convertible car seat, which was mildly traumatizing for me (long story).
- We ordered 30 pounds of amazing bacon today, although we're only keeping half of it.
- I (with Blake's amazing assistance) canned 8 pints of tomato basil soup!
- Rory has added eyes, head, and chin to her body parts repertoire (belly button and nose).
Rory loves her new pushy cart thing, and is realizing quickly that walking may be handy
She travels all over the house with her pushy cart
Wearing a pretty summer dress for the last time
And her blue jellies for the last time too
Pushy carts are such fun!
I always told myself I would never have magnetic alphabet letters on my fridge. But not only does my husband add magnetic alphabet letters to the shopping cart, he adds numbers too! Sure enough, Rory loves them. And sure enough, they end up all over the floor. Nothing says "babies" quite as clearly as magnetic alphabet magnets on a fridge.

3 comments:

  1. And from a fellow teacher, nothing says "literacy development" like magnetic letters on a fridge! :-) Those cupcakes came out great; Alia was telling me about making them. Happy baby shower! So excited to meet your little boy soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's true- Anne taught herself most of the alphabet before I ever got to her- ours was/is a singing magnetic alphabet set (it gets old for Mom REAL fast). B! B says Buh! Every letter has a sound- B says buh! It was one of those pushy things that got Peter finally walking, too. Fun times!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i dont really know where my baby got such gianormeous eyes because Jordan and I have Asian eyes! Those were some goood cupcakes!

    ReplyDelete