Monday, January 17, 2011

A Tiny, Little Secret

I have an embarrassing confession (no, not the fact that without fail I rely on the spell checker for help with"embarrassing"). This secret is much worse. Okay, here it comes: I have a strange fascination with the Miss America pageant. And Miss Universe. No, I don't watch them play out on TV. I actually don't follow them at all. But I love to go to their web page and read the contestant profiles. I don't know why, but reading their responses to the interview questions (and of course seeing what evening gown they chose) can captivate me for a good hour or more. Maybe I'm looking for a spark of transparency among the predictable answers. Maybe I'm trying to imagine what different circumstances influenced each girl as she decided that this was worth pursuing. Maybe the cynic in me is assuming that the winners are all but chosen before the event takes place, and I wonder if the flawless faces peering at me from under their moody, lowered lids have fooled themselves to thinking they have a chance. Or, maybe I'm just captivated by the glamor and sparkle.

If I were a sociologist, maybe I would study these things. Or maybe I would study the crazies like myself who occasionally succumb to their allure.

While I'm at it, I'll admit to another guilty pleasure: going to a website like People.com the day after a big awards ceremony (is that what they're called? Last night was the Golden Globes) and clicking through the gallery of the best dressed actresses. I just love to see the beautiful gowns (and turn up my nose at the horrid ones). Apparently brooches are the adornment of choice this year- who would have guessed?

These actions puzzle my dear husband, and I can't explain myself to him. Maybe it's like him checking insurance quotes for cars we'll probably never be able to afford; I'll never be 5'10, and I'll likely never again have the occasion to wear an impossibly beautiful gown or have my words scrutinized by the world, but....I don't know. I can't explain it.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds similar to my guilty pleasure...watching shows like "Say Yes to the Dress." I like to watch people be ridiculous. And scoff when they pay thousands of dollars for a dress they'll wear once. And comment that since they've already slept with their fiance they'll probably get divorced. And look at all the pretty and hideous dresses. And feel convicted for being prideful and judgemental...:-/

    ReplyDelete