Monday, January 17, 2011

A Delicious Update

We Bowens have been eating well the last couple of weeks. Are are a few culinary highlights:

Meatball subs for our Young Marrieds Group: they turned out well and were entirely satisfying!

One of our favorite chicken recipes, also from The Taste of Home.

Yesterday I finally cooked our Thanksgiving turkey...turkeys are intimidating, but it turned out really well! Blake and I celebrated by having turkey-pepperjack sandwiches on sourdough; they were fabulous. Today I had my all time favorite sandwich, turkey, havarti, cranberry, and romaine. I'm making homemade turkey stock and we're having turkey-sausage gumbo for dinner tonight, per Blake's request, which is something new for me (gumbo, not listening to Blake).

I also made some homemade salsa verde today with some Mexicany ingredients from our last bountiful baskets (tomatillos, garlic, onion, tomato, lime juice, and cilantro). I'll slow cook it with a pork roast on Wednesday!

Finally, I leave you with these little masterpieces: maple cupcakes, with maple butter cream frosting and candied bacon on top. They were unbelievably good, if I do say so myself. I know the whole bacon dessert thing is very trendy right now, but it seemed a perfect sweet-salty combo to try out for a Bible study snack. I thought people would be suspicious of them, but instead they embraced them with gusto. I'll definitely be making them again!
I got the cupcake recipe here, the frosting here, and to make the candied bacon, I just sprinkled the bacon with brown sugar before baking.

1 comment:

  1. You need more kids. Enjoy the creativity and motivation while you have it! :)

    ReplyDelete