Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Russian Goodness

I LOVE Russian sage. It blooms this time of year in Flagstaff, and I can't get enough of its purple poofiness. We don't have any Russian sage plants at our current home, but I hope to remedy that soon. In other news, today I'm dehydrating pears today, and making pear butter either today or tomorrow. I've also got a few pounds of strawberries to slice and freeze for smoothies etc. in the winter. In OTHER news, it's been raining so much and so gloriously the last few days!! Hooray for monsoons! Our garden is grateful. It looks like we'll have a harvest of green chilies, tomatoes, corn, and parsnips. Maybe a zucchini or pumpkin or two, but I'm not too confidant. At first I was kind of bummed that our zucchinis are not growing, because everyone says it's so easy to grow them in Flag and I'm failing, but then I decided that since they're so readily available from other gardens, why should I contribute to the slew of squash? I don't even LIKE zucchinis (except in zucchini bread, of course). So, I'm no longer wallowing in zucchini sorrow.

Yesterday was Blake's Saturday, and after a morning spent running around (including a lovely breakfast with friends), Blake and I spent the day at home. We ate homemade mac and cheese with preservative free hotdogs sliced into it, coffee-banana-chocolate milk shakes, and roasted broccoli, and we watched the non-musical version of Les Miserables, which was terrific.

Speaking of yesterday: I had to go to do my glucose test yesterday morning. When I got to the lab, I walked in and heard a man yelling it someone inside. It was only 7:30, and I saw a big guy in sweats standing in a doorway. He was hollering, "I wouldn't cuss you out if you'd let me see the kids every couple of weeks!" I was horrified- apparently this man had come to harass and threaten someone at her work! Not being sure what was correct protocol in such situations, I stepped out the door and returned to my vehicle (very noble of me, I know). I attempted to call Blake to find out what I should do, but he didn't answer his phone. After waiting ten or so minutes, watching for the man to emerge, I really needed to get that test done and get on with my day. I tentatively re-entered the lab, and found a delivery man jovially chatting with the little lab tech woman. Apparently, his "sweats" were a uniform, and rather than yelling at the lab tech, he was animatedly reenacting an earlier conversation. I felt rather silly, and was glad I hadn't attempted to intervene! Oh, and I don't have gestational diabetes. 

1 comment:

  1. huh, I always thought that was a lavender plant. well, now I know.

    ReplyDelete