Friday, August 19, 2011

Pear Day

I love pears. Amazingly, so does Blake. So I jumped at the chance to split 20-some pounds of bartletts with a friend. Then I was left to wonder, what does one do with a dozen pounds of pears? Granted, we could eat them fresh, but we'll be going out of town soon and they'd be way too ripe when we return. This is how I handled the dilemma:
- pear pancakes: I like to make whole wheat pancakes for breakfast once a week or so, so I diced a couple pears and added them and some nutmeg to the batter.
- dehydrated pears: I dried about 20 of them in the dehydrator- they turned out terrific!
- pear butter: Once again, I overcame my fear of the canner and made four pints of delicious pear butter, much to my husband's delight. It's fabulous on toast, and I can't wait to try it on waffles sometime.
- pear pie: Probably Blake's favorite dessert that I make is pear pie, and since he got A's in both his summer classes, I made a pear pie to celebrate his successful return to school. It's sort of like apple pie, only better!

In other food news (not much else is going on here!), I made a great meal this week, and the best part was that every component began with a "k" sound (I love alliteration!): cantaloupe, quiche (bacon-green chili; my first attempt at a quiche), and curried corn (I sliced the kernels off an ear of fresh corn and sauteed them in a little butter, garlic, and curry). I was so pleased with myself.

Though I'm enjoying this nice monsoony summer, fall is starting to sound appealing: pumpkin and cider and chopping wood and lighting candles...we have such nice, crispy falls here, though I do miss the blustery autumns of Washington too. Fall was chillier and damper there; we'd get some terrific storms. This year I'm torn between wanting a lingering summer (mostly so I don't have to drag out my cold weather maternity clothes) and being anxious for the next season. I love how God designed it so that we start to look with anticipation towards what's coming, and somehow are ready for it, while still enjoying where we're at now.

1 comment:

  1. Your always soo handy in the kitchen Brittany! If I were to have gotten that many pears, sad to say most of them probably would have gone to waste in my lack of knowing what to do with them!

    ReplyDelete