Monday, May 16, 2011

Trip to WA (etc.)

Well.

Rory and I made it safely to and from Seattle/Spokane. I found out that being a single mom is NOT FUN, especially when flying. We had a really great flight schedule, but darling US Air suffered a delay out of Flag, causing us to miss our connection in Phoenix. We ended up on an 8pm flight bound for Seattle, which is Rory's bedtime. She's a terrific little sleeper at home, but she doesn't sleep well on my lap anymore- there's just no room for her to get comfy. So, she did not sleep on the plane, and nor was she happy. I don't think any of the other passengers were either. And, her grandma fed her REFRIED BEANSfor lunch, being Cinco de Mayo and all. That was a BAD idea! What to do with a really gross baby- change her in my lap in the dark, or wake up the guy next to me so I can fumble my way to the bathroom?

Thankfully, Aurora was a trooper the rest of the trip. She smiled and laughed and charmed and delighted everywhere we went, and she adored my grandparents. She did great on the seven hour car ride, both ways! I was so proud of her! Flying home was a much better experience. She didn't sleep, but she was a happy baby, so all was well. I was never so relieved as when our little plane finally landed in Flag and I could hand my little one to her exuberant papa...hooray for being reunited with my beloved! It was great spending time with my mom and grandparents though, and I'm really glad we made the trip.

I'm definitely enjoying having Blake around so much! We've been doing some work on the house and yard, and Blake's exploring a few work options. Rory LOVES seeing so much of him (and I do too)! I've come down with a gross cold, and he's taking care of me and babycakes. I'm trying to decide if I should spend a couple days doing nothing so I get over this, or if I should plow on through my massive to-do list, cold and all. So far I've washed diapers and the dishes, and begun the task of sorting Rory's clothes for the next size swap.

Speaking of Rory, my baby girl is just a few weeks away from turning ONE! I know it's cliche, but Blake and I are astonished that she could be so old, so fast. She has become the most delightful little girl, and we enjoy her so much! She talks nonstop, always trying out new sounds. She clearly says, "dada" to Blake, but otherwise it's a lot of babble. Except she pouts, "mamamama!" when she's angry, go figure. She's a smiley, easily amused, laid back, pleasant little thing. What she is not is mobile- no crawling or walking for this one. She's very content to sit on the floor and play, but his no desire whatsoever to move. Granted, she rolls and scoots, but that's the extent of it. I'm kind of enjoying this stage, where she'll entertain herself but not go about causing mischief. She's eating more and more grownup food, which is fun. she loves all bread products, cream cheese, some eggs, oatmeal, BANANAS (she'd eat half a dozen bananas a day if we'd let her), and many more things. She's so great :)

Here are a few pictures of our time in WA:
My first Mother's Day
The view from the house
Aurora and Grammie
4 generations

No comments:

Post a Comment