Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Domestic Accomplishment

I really have the best intentions when it comes to keeping a neat house, serving nutritious and tasty meals, and having a clean and happy baby (and husband). But more often than not, I fail. I was just telling a friend today of one of my greatest frustrations, being unable to keep folded clothes folded in the drawers; it's like all I have to do is look at a drawer of clothes and they unfold themselves and get all askew. I think the only way for me to keep them tidy would be to have one clothing article per drawer, and that is quite unpractical.
Bag 'o broth cubes

I did, however, have one recent success story (after the pomegranates and the ham, that is). My poor spousy caught a cold, and it broke my heart to hear him sniffling so, and I determined to feed him chicken broth to spur him on to health. After looking at the ingredients in my bullion, however, I saw that there was no way it could possible nourish his poor sicky body, with all of its fakeness and additives. So I attempted the ultimate Florence Nightengale; I went to the store, bought a whole big chicken (I was a little doubtful at this point), boiled it up in a big 'ol pot with some vegetables, and made my own broth. You're not impressed, are you. Well, it gets better. Then, I poured the broth into ice cube trays and FROZE it, and then put the individual cubes into a gallon ziplock. Now, when someone in my household gets sick, all I have to do is thaw out a few broth cubes and have instant goodness! The alternative, of course, would be thawing out an entire bag of broth if I hadn't gone the ice cube method. Ah, I perceive that I've finally won you over with my ingenuity. Well, just hold onto your hats, because there's more!. I also shredded the whole chicken and flash froze it, before putting it into its own bag. Now, if the ill one is up for it, I can toss a handful of chicken into the broth while it's heating up for a heartier meal. The best part yet? Blake is able to prepare this on his own if I'm out while he's home for lunch. Now that's what I call a domestic accomplishment. Bring on flu season!
We think we might see some dimples emerging...




Joyrider
New shoes!




"Mama, have you seen my llama anywhere?"

1 comment: