Friday, July 23, 2010

"Bead's"

There is a little store near my home called "Bead's". I am confused; as multiple questions arise from its rendering. What exactly do the beads own? And, are they really "beads" at all? In response to the second question, yes, it is a bead shop, as opposed to a shop owned by a person named Bead, which would make more grammatical sense. It does not appear that the beads own anything, which leads me to believe that someone is an overzealous punctuator. And if we're talking beads and not "beads" (said with a mysterious, knowing tone), then the situation is even graver. The misused quotation marks are a bit amusing, but the spare apostrophe is painful. I scowl at it every time I drive by.

Involving another puzzling shop name:
There is a store in Kent, WA, called Seafood Etc. This leads me to wonder, what kind of etc. goes with seafood? Seafood is a category all in itself...what could the etc. be? Seafood and crackers? Seafood and fishing supplies? Seafood and deli meats? Hmmmm...

1 comment:

  1. Hahaha, you make me laugh! :) I'm with you on the extra apostrophe for sure- you should go in there someday and ask if there's a reason- you would think somebody would double check grammar/punctuation rules before creating a business name using it. :)

    ReplyDelete