Thursday, March 17, 2011

St. Patrick's Day stresses me out. Do I wear green just to conform? How much green? Too much makes it look like I care too much, and not enough means I still might get pinched. Or do I just not wear green at all to show my indifference? But I don't want to get pinched. And I like green. St. Patrick's Day stresses me out.

My Irish mother in law makes corn beef and cabbage every St. Paddy's. And each time, I thank God this day only comes once a year. I was complaining to Blake last night: "Does anyone actually like that stuff? Haven't the Irish contributed something of greater culinary superiority than corn beef and cabbage?" Blake paused. "I like it." Go figure. My picky, particular husband likes corn beef and cabbage. At least it's almost always followed by something chocolate-mint, which happens to be my favorite flavor combination in the world. And Irish music.

It's St. Patrick's Day. I wish I could hide inside all day and eat Andes mints.

3 comments:

  1. I always forget it's St. Patrick's Day 'cause it's also our engagement anniversary!:) Eleven years ago today! So you can celebrate that while you eat your Andes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i made shephard's pie, which is also Irish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely forgot it was St. Patrick's day and one of the advisors in my office pinched me while I was enjoying a quiet lunch. I no longer have the excuse of "I'm not Irish" because I found out recently that I do have a trace of it in me. You could always wear orange, which is also an Irish color (of course Cooper did), but I think that color makes either the Protestants or the Catholics in Ireland mad, I can't remember which.

    ReplyDelete