Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Life with Rory

We've been home with our little one for almost a week, and it's been a whirlwind. Here are some random thoughts about her arrival and settling in:
  • Blake is much better at changing diapers and swaddling than I am, but I make awesome milk, so we're even.
  • Blake made an innocent inquiry about the placenta, and the next thing we know, it's in a Tupperware container in our hospital room. Now it's in our refrigerator. Gross. What does one do with a placenta, anyway?
  • After months of preparing for natural, medicine free childbirth, both Blake and I felt nothing but relief when, after hours of apparently futile labor, our doctor informed us that we would be delivering by c-section.We were glad to go through labor for the experience, but discovered that c-sections aren't so bad.
  • An enormous red flower in one's hair speeds the recovery process, and is, as I suspected, an excellent distraction from a drugged, tired face in pictures.
  • Things I am finding invaluable:
    • enthusiastic grandmas
    • a loving, encouraging husband whose also an adoring father
    • my moby wrap...wasn't sure how I'd feel about it, but it's amazing
    • the nice comfy glider and ottoman
  • I love not being pregnant so, so much!! It's almost worth getting pregnant again just to enjoy the thrill of being not pregnant after.
My first glimpse of my beautiful daughter occurred on the operating table. My doctor probably told me that she was going to hold up the baby for me to see before the nursery people checked her out, but it did not register with me. Thus, I was a bit taken back when I heard a cry and turned my head, and leering down at me was Gollum. the creature had grabbed hold of the curtain with both hands and stayed grasping the curtain even as the doctor pulled her away. It occurred to me that Gollum was actually my baby, and while I was a little underwhelmed, I determined that being cute isn't everything, and we could work with it. However, fifteen or so minutes later, in the recovery room, Blake handed me the most beautiful baby I had ever seen. She bore no resemblance at all to the slimy, unfortunate Tolkien villain; she was perfect and gorgeous and I was smitten at second sight of her.

2 comments:

  1. I hear some people plant their placenta with a tree...I won't tell you in public what I've heard other people do with it. Ick. Anyway, you both look beautiful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was going to suggest planting a tree, too, but I heard you have to cut it up into bits to really work good and that made me almost throw up and I will never look at my friend's sink the same again (after I heard that her husband cut it up and was having trouble washing the chunks away). I laughed out loud about Gollum--that is awesome. I'm glad you have a blog :) And a cute baby.

    ReplyDelete